Wednesday, May 23, 2012

Animations from Spring 2012

My blog has been woefully neglected like a bastard child, so I'm posting my animations from this semester to remedy that. The first is the midterm for my intermediate animation class. 


It's called 'Bagheera Takes Flight'. It's the first shot of my reinterpretation of The Jungle Book. In my version, the story is set in my homeland, the Philippines, instead of India. The apex predator (not to mention the national bird) there is the Philippine Eagle, so I decided to use it for Bagheera. As I was making my storyboards, Bagheera turned up in a lot more scenes and I inadvertently was developing him more instead of  Mowgli. I decided to make Bagheera the protagonist of the story, with Mowgli more as the plot device that keeps the story moving forward. 

Anyway, the quick sequence is of Bagheera hearing a human woman's scream (there's no audio in the video though) and he takes off and flies to the direction of where it came from. 

This animation was also my entry to the student art show. It didn't win, unfortunately, but I'm still really proud of it.


This second animation is my final for my intermediate 3D Modeling and Animation class. It's a quick action sequence of Quorra from Tron Legacy, although I made the scene up myself. It was animated in Maya and was edited in After Effects. The song is "Derezzed" by Daft Punk from the movie's soundtrack and the blaster sound is most likely owned by George Lucas. I'm giving them credit here before Disney or Lucas decides to drop the sue-hammer on me.
I decided this semester that I wouldn't want to continue working in 3D. I didn't enjoy modeling, rigging, and animating in Maya. The only thing I enjoyed in the program was working with cameras and lights. But despite the low-res model and the difficult, finicky, unpredictable, and volatile rig; I'm pretty happy with the end result. Although the animation isn't great, I put a lot of work into it and I feel strangely proud.

I also have another animation, my final animation for Intermediate Animation, but Flash is being difficult at the moment and keeps crashing. And besides, there's still some kinks I need to sort out and a few more frames that I need to draw so I'll upload it at a later time, I promise.

No comments:

Post a Comment